Whether for home improvement projects or automotive shop use, air compressors are a vital and yet underrated tool. Air compressors vary in design based on their purpose. While industrial size compressors are best for factory use, smaller varieties with tiny motors are great for personal or shop use. Oil-free types are preferred over oil-injection types especially when working indoors since they pose no problem with emissions.
One problem with air compressors, particularly those with more powerful motors, is the noise they produce that makes it impossible to work discreetly. However, more recent models that have been released have been very quiet when running. The California Air Tools CAT-6310 Ultra Quiet and Oil-Free 1.0 HP 6.3-Gallon Steel Tank Air Compressor is a specific example of such.
Features of the California Air Tools CAT-6310
- Creates only up to 60 decibels of sound
- Has a motor speed of 1680 RPM
- Only 49 lbs. in weight
- 1 HP running and 2 HP peak motor
- Up to 3.80 CFM at 40 psi and 2.35 CFM at 90 psi/ 120 psi at maximum pressure
- Uses only 7.6 amps
- Dual-piston and oil-free pump
- Includes a 6.3 gallon steel horizontal tank with wheels and handle
- Has 2 pressure control gauges and a water trap + ball drain valve
- ¼ inch universal quick connector
Benefits of the California Air Tools CAT-6310
- The CAT-6310 Air Compressor is very quiet. At only 60 decibels, it is hardly audible and is more silent than a normal conversation which usually goes up to 65 decibels of sound.
- The CAT-6310 motor runs at a speed of 1680 RPM and at low vibration which results in less noise and less damage. Its 7.6 amp draw produces less heat since it is able to disperse heat more effectively.
- The powerful 1 HP motor (2 HP peak) is compatible with pneumatic tools such as nail guns, spray guns, drills, dimpler & rivet squeezers and pop-rivet pullers. The compressor can also be used for air brushing, painting and inflating.
- The dual-piston pump is larger than usual that allows for a higher compression rate and a prolonged pump life of up to 3000 hours.
- The CAT-6310’s oil-free pump has lower energy costs and virtually no emissions. Not to mention, lighter oil-free pumps also undergo very little maintenance.
Despite its powerful 1 HP motor, its ultra-quiet and low vibration features are ideal for indoor use. Reviews of the product are mostly from home owners looking for a personal air compressor.
- The 7.6 amp makes the motor energy-efficient. Because it dissipates heat evenly, the air compressor is less likely to overheat. This is also highly due to its thermal overload protector which allows less time to fill the tank with air at only 155 seconds.
- Its high CFM allows the compressor to holds adequate air at 60-90 psi and provides minimal recharge time so that the machine is not running constantly. The vast 6.3 gallon steel tank also holds enough air to keep recharging sparse.
- The CAT-6310 can service a number of tools that will need variations of pressure levels for their operation all thanks to a built-in pressure regulator.
- Another nifty add-on is the compressor’s water collector which is easily drained after use via the ball drain valve.
- At 49 lbs. and including a handle and wheels, the CAT-6310 is fairly portable and can be shifted from one job site to another.
- The awkward design of the unit makes it hard for storage. The horizontal tank and the bulky motor on top takes up a lot of space in the trunks of cars and may not even fit garage cabinets.
- Also, 49 lbs. is not that light. There are many other compact compressors that weigh less than half of the CAT-6310 and run on the same amount of horse power.
- The ¼ inch quick connector is not compatible with all tools and may need a supplementary adaptor to fit spray guns and the like. Also the wheels must be attached personally but that isn’t a problem unless you put it on backwards. That’s when the wheels start to rub against the tank.
The California Air Tools CAT-6310 has received excellent reviews online attesting to its efficiency and as advertised, its silence when being operated. Although it does have a few downsides, it is nonetheless an effective air compressor ideal for homes and small businesses.